Zambia – May
Journey Leaders: Debs Carter
Yoga, game-viewing and meditation safari
Fast becoming the most enticing safari destination in Africa, Zambia’s iconic South Luangwa National Park is the perfect setting for an unrivaled wildlife experience in one of the last un-spoilt wilderness regions. Join Spiritual Quest Journeys for a yoga, meditation and game-viewing safari and an unforgettable growth experience. Whilst this area is perfectly suited to the walking activities on offer, open safari game drive vehicles are available for those that prefer to drive. Should you wish to extend your visit to Zambia or any other country in Southern or East Africa (including Victoria Falls; Botswana; Namibia; Zimbabwe and South Africa), we can tailor make any extension options for you.
8 days / US$ 4 990 per person / 18 – 25 May 2015
African hospitality ~ daily yoga sessions in the Africa wilderness ~ touching the real Africa on foot and game viewing vehicle ~ daily meditations ~ sumptuous meals ~ first class guides ~ luxury bush style accommodation ~ community projects with the opportunity to give back ~ unrivaled wildlife experience ~ exclusive use of the bush camps
|Dates:||18 – 25 May 2015|
|Price per person sharing:||US$ 4 990|
|Single Supplement:||N/A as tour takes a max of 8 people|
|Journey Leaders:||Debs Carter|
|Location of nights spent:||2 nights Mfuwe Game Lodge2 nights Kapamba Bush Camp3 nights Zungulila Bush Camp|
|Key Activities:(there are a number of other meditations en-route)||Intention setting meditationWalking, eating and zen meditationsDaily yogaDaily game-viewing activitiesLocal Seka play and community projectsClosing and integration ceremony|
|Arrival point of entry:||Lusaka International Airport|
|Departure point:||Lusaka International Airport|
Daily activities at the bush camps guideline:
05:45 early morning call
06:00 Light breakfast (cereals, fruit, muffins, toast, tea, coffee etc)
06:30 Guided bush walk or game drive
11:30 – 3:30 Siesta time when the animals and people relax in the shade during the hottest time of the day
15:30 Call for tea
16:00 Afternoon tea
16:30 Afternoon drive or walk to sundowners and snacks in a picturesque setting
18:30 Night drive
20:00 Return to the camp to freshen up before dinner
The above guideline gives you an idea of the daily routine although is flexible according to the groups wishes. Yoga and meditations will be on offer daily, and scheduled at the best-suited time. All walking is optional and can be replaced by game drives.
Debs Carter has been leading yoga safaris in Southern Africa for over 10 years and been involved in the safari industry for over 23 years. Her yoga practice leans towards a more therapeutic style, helping her students create better body awareness and are perfect for both beginning and experienced students. Her classes include pranayama (breath work), dyana (meditation), asana (poses), with savasana (relaxation) at the end. As a Reiki practitioner, Debs is also well versed in leading guided meditation including walking, eating and various zen meditations. With a great sense of humour, Debs has a fun and light-hearted approach and is a passionate and inspiring journey leader facilitating the perfect body, mind and spirit balance one would hope for on a soul safari.
Day 1 – Mon 18 May
On arrival at Lusaka International Airport, you will be met by a company representative and assisted through customs and passport control. Depart Lusaka in a light aircraft for the hour and 10 min flight to Mfuwe Airport then transfer to Mfuwe Lodge to meet Debs and the rest of the group. Freshen up and enjoy lunch on the deck with its panoramic view of the bush, prolific bird and wildlife before the afternoon game drive.
Mfuwe Lodge is set beneath a canopy of ebony and mahogany, its thatched buildings are arranged around the banks of two lagoons where an endless stream of wildlife will keep you enthralled as you lounge on the open deck or take a dip in the swimming pool. Thanks to a thorough refurbishment in 2010 the airy interior of the lodge is an exquisite complement to its natural surroundings. This region of the park is renowned for its prolific game – giraffe, buffalo, antelope, crocodile and elephant are constant visitors to Mfuwe Lodge’s lagoon.
Voted Best Lodge in Zambia in 2009, Mfuwe Lodge also offers you the opportunity to relax at its Bush-Spa, enjoy the library or buy a few mementos of your time in Zambia at the well-stocked curio shop.
This evening, enjoy the local SEKA play. Seka has a reputation amongst people in their areas of operation for bringing a sense of fun to the serious issues that people face. The fun is not just for fun’s sake – it enables people to feel more empowered to take on the issues that face them. The troupe has tackled the problems of elephants raiding gardens, HIV/AIDS education, children’s rights, litter and natural resource management, amongst others.
On the 19 May, enjoy a visit to the community projects that Mfuwe Lodge sponsors in the neighborhood. These include the Chiwawatala School; school gardens; tree planting projects and organic market garden that supplies Mfuwe with vegtables and herbs; meeting the community at Peter Zulus village and local dancing.
Spend 2 nights in luxury chalets at Mfuwe Lodge with private decks and en-suite bathroom have a shower, twin washbasins and toilet.
Day 3 – Wed 20th May
After breakfast, enjoy the game drive transfer to Kapamba Bush Camp.
In a remote corner of the South Luangwa National Park lies Kapamba camp that combines the isolation and superb game-viewing opportunities of a true bush camp with a touch of… dare we say it… luxury.
Set on the banks of the shallow, spring-fed eponymous river, Kapamba is surrounded by some of the park’s richest wildlife. Watching an elephant take a dip in the river can be quite an experience when you’re lounging in your own private plunge pool or meditating on the vastness of the African wilderness. The central bar and dining room is positioned under a huddle of Matumi and Sausage trees, with a wide deck that stretches out with views of the Kapamba River and is a perfect spot for your daily Yoga practice. And if that’s still not close enough for you, why not enjoy a cooling drink from the middle of the river itself, your feet dipped in the cool, crystal shallows.
Spend 2 nights at Kapamba bush camp in open fronted chalets (attractive wrought iron gates are drawn across in the evenings) with en-suite toilet, double sized sunken stone baths and twin showers that are open to the river frontage. Enjoy the daily Yoga practice on the banks of the Kapamba River letting the sights and sounds fill your senses.
Day 5 – Fri 22 May
After an early breakfast at Kapamba, set off on your walking trail or game drive to Zungulila Bush Camp, arriving in time for a hearty brunch served around 11:30. For those who have chosen to walk, Debs will give instructions on a walking meditation. Learn how to experience everything around you and to use impala vision to enhance your walk.
Zungulila is a charming peaceful camp that embodies the essence of old Africa and a bygone era, with breathtaking views onto the Kapamba River and an expansive plain where natural springs attract huge herds of game. Guides will lead you through untamed wilderness, along the banks of the sparkling Kapamba River and surrounds.
Spend 3 nights at Zungulila Bush Camp in classic style Meru thatched tents with en-suite toilet, outdoor shower and private deck with sunken plunge pool. The central dining area, lounge, bar and sunken deck with boma (open style dining area), offer spectacular views over the Kapamba River and Muchinga Escarpment and where you will practice Yoga and meditation. Enjoy game viewing from your choice of walking and/or game drives.
Day 8 – Mon 25 May
Return by game viewing vehicle to Mfuwe Lodge for check out and onto Mfuwe International Airport for your light aircraft flight back to Lusaka and onto your connecting flight.
- Return light aircraft flights Lusaka/Mfuwe
- All transfers and touring in South Luangwa National Park
- 2 nights accommodation at Mfuwe Game Lodge.
- 2 nights accommodation at Kapamba bush camp on an exclusive basis
- 3 nights accommodation at Zungulila Bush Camp on an exclusive basis
- All game activities (including guided walks and game drives in open safari vehicles)
- All Yoga and meditations
- Bush laundry service
- All meals, snacks, teas and coffees
- Bar at bush camps (excluding imported bottled wines)
- Government taxes, park entrance fees, bed levies, Mfuwe airport taxes, LCCF levies.
- International and domestic flights not specified
- Bar at Mfuwe Lodge and imported bottled wine at bush camps
- Items of a personal nature
- Cancellation, travel, baggage and medical insurance
- Visa fees and passport documentation
A full list of Spiritual Quest Journeys terms and conditions is available on the Terms and Conditions page of www.spiritualquestjourneys.com Specific terms and conditions relating to this tour, are as follows:
- Accommodation at the bush camps is limited to 2 x twin tents (queen beds) and 2 x doubles (King beds) Preferences will be booked on a first come first served basis. As the group is limited to 8 people, a single supplement is not applicable.
- To secure your space, a deposit of US$ 1 000 is due at time of reservation. The full tour cost is due by the 1 Feb 2015. For bookings made after the 1 Feb 2015, full payment is due at time of reservation.
- To ensure comfort and enjoyment and exclusive use of the bush camps, this tour accommodates a maximum of 8 guests. Please note that we require minimum numbers for this tour to operate. Should the minimum number of participants not be reached, we will re-cost the journey based on the number of confirmed guests or, if possible, tailor make an itinerary best suited to your requirements. If confirmed participants choose not to accept the new costing or tailor made alternative, the journey will be cancelled and a full refund of the payment received will be given.
- The tour has been costed in US$ as all expenses are in same. This protects our clients from currency fluctuations and hedged conversion rates. Actual bank rates on the day of payment will apply.
- Payment can be made by direct bank transfer or by credit card through PayPal. Credit card payments via PayPal will be subject to a 5% admin surcharge to cover fees.
- Cancellations after payment of the deposit or balance are subject to the following penalties:
- Up to 60 days prior to departure, client deposit will be refunded subject to an admin fee of US$ 500.
- Should a cancellation be received between 59 – 0 days prior to the arrival date, 100% cancellation penalty would be charged. The relevant cancellation policy applies should the guest fail to join or start their journey for any reason, including airline delays or missed connections. Please ensure adequate travel insurance is in place for this eventuality.
- Individuals are responsible for their own personal comprehensive medical, travel, cancellation, curtailment and default, baggage and flight insurance for the duration of their trip. Personal items, such as jackets, cameras, purses or daypacks are the sole responsibility of the owner. Due to the remote areas in which we operate, it is vital that all guests are covered for emergencies and other unforeseen circumstances. We cannot be held responsible for any guest traveling without insurance. We strongly recommend tour participants take out personal travel insurance. If assistance is required, please click on Travel Insurance under Your Journey on this website.
- The price quoted is subject to change in the event of any unforeseen increases in fuel costs including currency fluctuations (relevant to aircraft or transfer services) and/or Government levies/taxes.
- The above itinerary includes camps/lodges that are situated in Malaria areas. Please consult a general practitioner, pharmacist or travel clinic, and establish what precautions will be required. Please also discuss all other travel related medical questions with your general practitioner prior to travel.
- Luggage allowance per person is 15 kgs (packed in soft bags) due to the luggage restrictions on the light aircraft transfers.
- Journey Leaders - Debs Carter
- Dates - 18 - 25 May 2015
- Cost - US$ 4 990 per person